The SmartBox is designed to help you enter addresses and search for information. By default, the Yandex search engine is used to search for answers to your query. You can change your search engine if you want to. You can't disable or remove the SmartBox.
Find an answer or go to a website
- Enter a search query, address, or name of a website in the SmartBox.
- Press Enter.
Search sites with OpenSearch
You can use the SmartBox to search on websites that support OpenSearch (like wikipedia.org):
- Enter the site's name or address in the SmartBox. If the site supports OpenSearch, you will see Press Tab to search [site name] appear on the right.
- Press the Tab key (you will see the site name appear on an icon in the left part of the SmartBox).
- Enter a search query.
- Press Enter.
To exit OpenSearch, click on the right side of the SmartBox.
When you search on a site that supports OpenSearch, the SmartBox displays your search query instead of the address of the open page. To see the page address, click the SmartBox and then the Copy button that appears.
Change the search engine
- Right-click on the SmartBox.
- In the context menu, select Edit default search engine.
- On the Search engine settings page, go to the Default search engine section and select a desired search engine from the list.Tip.
If the search engine you want is not in the list, enter it manually:
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, click Add.
- Fill in the fields of the dialog box that opens:
- Name: enter the name of the search engine (for example, bing);
- Keyword: enter the search engine address (such as bing.com)
- Link with the %s parameter instead of a query (for example, http://bing.com/?q=%s).
- Click Add.
- Hover your mouse over the search engine you entered and click Make default.
Copy or share the page URL
When you hold your cursor in the SmartBox, the Copy and Share buttons appear:
- To copy a URL to your clipboard, click Copy.
- To share a link with your friends, click Share and choose a social network or email address.
- Tap .
- Go to Interface.
- In the SmartBox section, disable the Show Copy and Share buttons options.
What do I do if a webpage doesn't open?
If the browser can't open the page you entered in the SmartBox, it will offer several possible solutions:
- If you entered the page address incorrectly, the browser will give you several links to existing pages with similar addresses, or suggest searching for it in Yandex.
- If the page was recently deleted, you can view a copy that Yandex cached.
- If there were problems on the server side, you can view a cached copy of the page or search for it on Yandex.
To see a link to a cached website, click on the arrow next to the site address.
Find on page
To start searching a page, click Ctrl + F (on Windows) or ⌘ + F (on macOS).or press
By default, search on page in Yandex Browser tries to find any grammatical forms of a given word on the page. For example, if you enter "teach" into the search bar, the browser will also show words such as “teaching”, “teacher”, etc.
If you want to find specific grammar forms of a word without any related forms, select the Exact match option in the search window.